Ankeri checks for updated information on weekly interval and informs the user if any changed values are found. If updated information is available, it is shown on the ship cards, on top of Specification and in a report called Available updates.
Example below shows eight (8) available updates on top of Specification.
Note that available updates are only shown to the owners of a ship profile and not on shared views.
Working with update notifications
By clicking on notification of available updates, the user will see the Specification filtered for available updates as shown below.
By hovering over the value for available update next to a field, the user gets a pop-up with information about the source from where the value is taken, the date when the value was found and the new value. Note that the data sources are run with same priority as configured in settings for each company.
For each available update, there are three options that can be taken:
- Use new value: current value is updated with the value given in the pop-up. Note that there is no need to save the profile after this - new value is already saved.
- Ignore this: this update suggestion gets ignored and new update is only offered when a different value is found in data sources.
- Ignore always: all future suggestions found for this field are ignored. Be careful using this option unless you are absolutely sure.
Options above only affect the ship profile being edited. Ignoring a field for one ship does not ignore same field for other ship profiles.
Checking for new data
Checking for available updates is always done in background process that may take some time to finish or up to 10 seconds per ship depending on number of data sources being used.
Automatic checking for new data
Checking for new data is automatically done on various occasions such as:
- when single ship profiles are updated via data sources (not done on fleet level)
- when a new ship profile is created on Ankeri (for that ship only)
- once per week (on Saturday night)
Checking for data is based on data sources as defined in settings.
Manually checking for new data
There are currently two ways to manually run a check for new data.
- Users with the right to run data sources can check for new data for a single ship profile at a time by clicking on the data icon and select Check for data updates.
- Administrators can open the Settings page and browse to Data sources. At the bottom of data sources, there is an option to Check for new data in data sources. By clicking on the Check for available updates from data sources button, new data check will be performed for all ship profiles. Note that this may take some time to execute (up to 10 seconds per ship profile) and will in the meantime lock manual updates from data sources.
Rules when checking for new data
When checking for new data, there are few rules applied when comparing available data to the existing one.
- All strings are compared as lower case. Difference in upper and lower case does therefore not matter when comparing data.
- Dates without day of month are assumed to be first of month and ambiguous dates such as 04/10/2018 are assumed to be date/month/year.
- Numbers are compared to a difference of 0.1%. If difference is less, update is not suggested.
- Available updates are only checked in sources that are turned on at the time of the check. If a data source is turned off, all previous suggestions from other sources are removed.
Ankeri offers a way to automatically ignore selected values when checking for available updates. This can be useful for to ignore values that are commonly wrongly suggested, such as the value 0. To configure this option for your company, please contact email@example.com.